Weekly Roundup 29

Written by on June 21, 2013 in Marine Life

Other stories worth reading this weekend:

CHOW 2013 Summary” from The Ocean Foundation

Check out the highlights of Capitol Hill Ocean Week 2013. This post summarizes each panel held during the week.

Destructive Fishing Gear Kills 400K+ Seabirds per Year” from Oceana

Gillnets have often been described as “walls of death” because of their unfortunate ability to catch just about anything, including non-target fish species, sea turtles, dolphins, whales, and sharks. A new report shows that even birds are killed by gillnets. The report reveals that at least 400,000 seabirds become entangled and drown in gillnets every year.

Fish Diseases Threaten Food Supply In Warm Climates” from Inside Science

Aquaculture, or fish farming, is the fastest-growing agricultural industry in the world. While aquaculture is providing cheaper protein for a lot of people, a new study suggests that the industry is vulnerable to disease outbreaks–particularly in countries located at lower latitudes. Shellfish and young fish were the most susceptible to deadly outbreaks.

Chinese white dolphin.

Chinese white dolphin. Photo credit: Takoradee.

Hong Kong dolphin numbers dwindling quickly” from NewStraitsTimes

Earlier this week, conservationists warned that the number of Chinese white dolphins (also called pink dolphins) in Hong Kong waters is at its lowest level in a decade of monitoring. According to the Hong Kong Dolphin Conservation Society, there were an estimated 158 dolphins in 2003 and only 61 in 2012. Conservationists are blaming construction and lack of protected areas.

Making a splash: Dolphin creates a ‘hula hoop’ effect after twirling out to the sea” from Daily Mail

Amateur photographer Steve O’Toole captured a series of images of a dolphin dancing the water that became very popular. The unique part about these photos it that there appears to be a “hula hoop” of water around the dolphin’s body as it twisted and spun out of the water.

Monterey Bay Aquarium takes a ‘break’ from collecting great white sharks” from Santa Cruz Sentinel

The Monterey Bay Aquarium has tagged more than 100 great white sharks for research purposes since 2002. Six of those sharks were taken from the ocean and displayed at the aquarium. Instead of continuing this trend, the aquarium has decided to “take a break” while officials determine if great whites will be listed as an endangered species.

SeaWorld Orca Dies in Spain” from TakePart

More bad news for SeaWorld: a ten month old orca at Loro Parque in the Canary Islands died this week. Her death was sudden and the cause is unknown, but she had been exhibiting odd behavior in the days prior to her death. SeaWorld, the company that owns all the orcas at Loro Parque, flew their chief veterinarian in to perform an exam, but it appeared to be too late.

Success for discards trial” from World Fishing & Aquaculture

The recent UK discards trial was an overall success. The Marine Management Organisation recently released the results showing that discards of some species have been almost entirely eliminated. Discards for commercially important stocks such as cod, sole and anglerfish were drastically reduced in the trials.

UNESCO postpones decision about adding Great Barrier Reef to ‘in danger’ list” from ABC News

At the World Heritage Committee meeting this week, the committee members decided to postpone making a decision about adding the Great Barrier Reef to the “in danger” list. The decision will be made at the next UNESCO meeting in 2014.

Wide variations in salmon sustainability” from World Fishing & Aquaculture

A report from the Sustainable Fisheries Partnership (SFP) reveals that half of wild Pacific salmon stocks are in good shape, but the other half needs help. The report notes 51 percent of Pacific salmon fisheries are in good shape and the majority of those are located in Alaska. The other 49 percent need “significant improvements.”

Copyright © 2013 by Marine Science Today, a publication of Marine Science Today LLC.

About the Author

About the Author: Emily Tripp is the Publisher and Editor of MarineScienceToday.com. She holds marine science and biology degrees from the University of Miami's Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and a Master of Advanced Studies degree in Marine Biodiversity and Conservation from Scripps Institution of Oceanography. When she's not writing about marine science, she's probably running around outside or playing with her dog. .

Subscribe

If you enjoyed this article, subscribe now to receive more just like it.

Subscribe via RSS Feed Find MST on Instagram Connect with MST on Google Plus

Comments are closed.

Top