It’s Earth Science Week! This might be Marine Science Today, but since our planet is over 70 percent water (Big Idea 5!), I thought I should pass on the message from the American Geosciences Institute (AGI).
AGI has organized Earth Science week every year since 1998. This year, it runs from October 14 to 20 and the theme is “Discovering Careers in the Earth Sciences.”
AGI invites everyone to celebrate Earth Science Week by learning the nine big ideas in Earth Science:
- Big Idea 1: Earth scientists use repeatable observations and testable ideas to understand and explain our planet.
- Big Idea 2: Earth is 4.6 billion years old.
- Big Idea 3: Earth is a complex system of interacting rock, water, air and life.
- Big Idea 4: Earth is continuously changing.
- Big Idea 5: Earth is the water planet.
- Big Idea 6: Life evolves on a dynamic Earth and continuously modifies Earth.
- Big Idea 7: Humans depend on Earth for resources.
- Big Idea 8: Natural hazards pose risks to humans.
- Big Idea 9: Humans significantly alter the Earth.
Check out this great video from AGI about Big Idea 5: Earth is the Water Planet.
To learn more:
- Find events near you to participate
- See all 9 Big Ideas videos
- Read more from EarthSky.org: Celebrate Earth Science Week with these 9 big ideas
Copyright © 2012 by Marine Science Today, a publication of Marine Science Today LLC.